Rodney Times : December 21st 2010
7 RODNEY TIMES, DECEMBER 21, 2010 NEWS Hopper Developments Ltd Phone now on 09 427 0090 or 0800 629 476 65 Tauranga Place, Orewa • www.maygroveorewa.co.nz View us on Trade Me Properties Apartments from $220,000 Want the ultimate lifestyle? Welcomes Maria Peacock to the team Where is she? MOANA COURT, OREWA (next to Deejay Shoes) Ph 426 6230 Historic buildings recorded in Parakai Cosy stay: Hinemoa House was the largest boarding house in Parakai. Community support: Donations of land and money helped establish the St Lukes Anglican Church, dedicated on June 5, 1932. Popular place: Parakai House was a large two-storey boarding house built in the early years of World War One. Its site is on the main road where Black Pete's is today. Parakai has a good record of its historic buildings, despite losing some to fire. The area naturally gets its name from the nearby Kaipara Harbour and Kaipara River -- with the word Kaipara'' simply being reversed to avoid confusion. Located just five minutes from its larger cousin Helensville, the small farm- ing community attracts visitors especially to its natu- ral thermal springs with two public hot water pool com- plexes. Retaining its country flavour, some of the township's original public buildings are still standing, although they have changed hands and looks over the years. Hinemoa House was the largest boarding house in Parakai. It began as the Geyser Hotel but soon was renamed Hinemoa because there was a big bore on the property. Mary Ellen Keane owned the facility from 1920 to 1947 and was recognised with a community citation for her kindness and generous community spirit. It was destroyed by fire on April 19, 1977. The Presbyterian church still remains on the main road and was built in con- crete in 1924. Springside House was built by the Eddlestons as a large, sprawling single-storey facility. A large swimming pool was added in 1924 and its hotel was the first in Parakai to acquire its licence. The house burned down in 1957. The tea kiosk opened in 1926 catering for the hordes of visitors to the hot springs. Parakai House was a large two-storey boarding house built in the early years of World War One. It was destroyed by fire in 1956 with no lives lost. Its site is on the main road where Black Pete's is today. St Lukes Anglican Church, dedicated on June 5, 1932, used to be on the corner of Parkhurst and Springs roads. It was built with the donation of the land and £300 from Mrs Keane of Hinemoa House, together with com- munity donations.
December 16th 2010
December 23rd 2010